Separation of Powers
Separation of Powers DYGI?
- The new Congress under the Constitution would have a bicameral legislature.
- The lower house of the legislature would be called the House of Representatives.
- The number of members in the lower house would be determined by the population of each state.
- The upper house of the legislature would be called the Senate.
- The number of members in the upper house would be set at 2 per state.
- Before the 17th Amendment, the members of the Senate were chosen by their state legislatures.
- POTUS stands for President of the United States.
- The terms of the election of the President under the Constitution today are 2 terms of 4 years each.
- Franklin Roosevelt was elected 4 times to be president. The 22st Amendment set the terms limits to 2 per president.
- The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court leads the Judicial Branch.
- The federal court system (includes state courts) try criminal and civil cases based on laws that are broken.
- Lower district courts in each state here a case first.
- To hear cases brought to them and determine whether laws are Constitutional.